Inspired by the quote “small steps every day,” we wanted to explore some pathways of getting to wellness through the choices we make. While wellness is a process and a journey that’s lived out daily, there are some things you can do right now to enhance it and see immediate results.
Here are five steps you can take right to instantly improve your wellness:
1. Get enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep leaves us feeling depleted, sluggish and ultimately, not at our best. There are some incredible health benefits to getting enough sleep and you instantly start your day feeling better because your body has enough energy to do the tasks ahead.
2. Eat more whole foods. Cut the processed crap. It’s doing absolutely nothing for you body and in many cases may be doing more harm than good. Instead, try eating the best foods to reboot your body like these 11 foods that make you feel better an hour later. We suggest choosing non-GMO and organic on everything due to the high amount of pesticides being used these days in food production to meet consumer demands.
3. Get rid of the toxins. In people, foods, products, behaviors, emotions, thoughts…the list goes on where toxins may be lurking in your life. Just make sure that while you’re identifying the toxins externally, you’re taking note and becoming aware of your internal toxins. When you start letting go of the toxins, you’ll notice how much lighter and freer you feel.
4. Wake up and say “thank you.” We race through life barely counting our blessings, constantly comparing ourselves to others as the measure of our value and always looking to the next thing. But what if every time we opened our eyes from sleep, we smiled and said thank you for all that we are and have right in that very moment? What would life look like if we thanked God and our bodies more for getting us through another day? What if we thanked our minds for giving us new ideas and problem solving abilities? What if we appreciated ourselves more instead of looking to others to acknowledge us? Try daily doses of gratitude and see how much better you feel.
5. Pause for a minimum of 60 seconds per day. Most people say they don’t have time to slow down or it just plain makes them feel uncomfortable to sit and do nothing. But what if it’s probably because we have to unlearn what we’ve learned over all these years? So we’re suggesting to start with 60 seconds. Whether you sit or lie down, set your phone aside, take a few deep breaths and clear your mind. Notice how you feel and what your body needs. Simple pauses throughout the day do wonders for your wellness in lessening fear, anxiety and stress to name a few. We recommend growing into longer times of yoga and meditation when you’re ready.
Photography by Filanthropik Threads